Sunday, February 29, 2004

Happy Leap Day

Happy Leap Day
Sunday, February 29, 2004
11:27:00 PM CST

29 Feb 2004

Happy Leap Day. Found out that the mortars that I heard the other night were US exercises. I knew that they sounded like they were at least as far away if not further than BIAP. Also, the rumors about the 10-15 Iraqis that got over the wall of the base and getting shot are true. And yes, they were all shot dead. The scary part is that the new trailer park and MWR building are over where this all happened. I'm hoping that this event will force the people making decisions to maybe reconsider opening the highway to the airport which passes our base and the entry to Camp Slayer (ISG). We'll see.

Last night I joined a few of my coworkers at Ishtar. There was a going-away gathering of sorts for a group of ITTer's from ISG. They are to be split up and sent to different sites around Iraq and Afghanistan because it has been suggested that they don't play well together and they are a bunch of whiners. Of course I'm not quoting anyone on that! Anyway, Ishtar is a full service restaurant located in the airport terminal at BIAP on the third or fourth floor. We didn't get there in time to eat because we were going to leave at 7 but no vehicle was available since everyone has been moving. Suffice to say, the refreshments were cold and satisfying. Hope they're as good at Rock Bottom on Tuesday night for my NIU EMBA TMC2 group.

Some Tennessee senator was also at Camp Victory tonight at the chow hall looking to shake hands with constituents. You wanted to see your tax dollars at work! I guess it isn't exactly $200 million in overcharges like KBR, but still a waste all the same. I'm sure he used no government money for transport here, but I've only seen C130's and military helo's flying into BIAP. Hmmmm, my pockets feel lighter already, don't yours?

Although, I have to congratulate him on actually making it to where the real people are. My only hope was that the senator got to enjoy our hospitality of sleeping in some of the vermin infested tents and fly ridden porta-potties for an overnight topped off with one shower trailer that doesn't work (compliments of KBR) and the other that only has cold water. Maybe his visit *could* help improve overall conditions for the soldiers and civilians here.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?