Monday, February 16, 2004

Saturday in Iraq

Saturday in Iraq
Monday, February 16, 2004
8:09:00 AM CST

Finally got up early enough to call home. I've been wanting to check in all week, but the nine hour difference in time has made things difficult at best. Phil sounded good. I wanted to talk longer than the 15 or so minutes we spoke, but my phone card ran out of minutes. He said that both the dogs are healing well and both have all of their stitches out. Cayenne is still limping some, but for only three weeks after knee surgury, I'd say that she was doing very well. When she had her other knee done, she was hobbling along for a good two months.

Got out on another day trip today. Jay the outside maint guy, Dave and Eve were going shopping. First we went over to the ISG which is where the old Bathe Party HQ was. We visited the ITT people there and then ate chow there. The decision was to either go over to BIAP first and have lunch at BK or do the chow hall at ISG. Eve made the command decision. Turned out to be an excellent decision too. They had great chow! Lasagna that was as good as Stouffers and the banana cream cake was definitely bakery quality. Our chow hall at Victory can't hang with ISG chow!

From ISG, we hit the different "Haji" shops in the area. Dave was looking for jewelry, Eve looking for DVDs and I was looking to price out carpets. We were at just about every shop between ISG and BIAP that you can imagine. I knokw now that I will empty my suitcases on the way home and fill them with oriental rugs. Phenomenal rugs and great prices.

Made another stop at the BX/PX at BIAP for another 4-drawer plastic holder. Now all my clothes etc can be out of the suitcase and into drawers. I hate living out of a suitcase. So now this feels a little more like home --except for the rodent problem. More in the next installment!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?