Monday, February 16, 2004

Welcome to Iraq

Welcome to Iraq
Monday, February 16, 2004
3:56:00 AM CST

12 Feb 2004

Just as we shut off the lights, the mortar fire began. First three booms sounded like they came from about three blocks away. Then a big single boom that sounded like it came from a block away and went over our tent. Everyone went outside to check it out, but it was over that quick. You could still smell the gunpowder in the air. Jay turns to two of us new guys and says, "Welcome to Iraq."

Gunfire off and on all night, but in the distance. Nothing to worry about. The hardest part of sleeping is the cots. The helo's passing overhead woke me up a couple times during the night, but I was able to fall right back to sleep. It's been awhile since I've lived on a flight line. Last time was at Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs and then in Biloxi on Keesler AFB.

All the frickin mud and stones here are a major pain in the butt. They had rain for about an hour the day before we arrived, so you can't go anywhere without dragging mud and stones along with you. I did claim a spot in the tent that was open when someone else had left. So I have squatters rights on a six by eight space. Most people have created their own space or cubes with blankets or the military ponchos we were issued hung across wire or cord strung across the tent. This gives people some privacy or sense of privacy in this little hell-hole we call home.

I don't know if I'll be able to say this in December when it gets cold, but I am actually getting adjusted to using the porta-potties. They really are some nasty and discusting things! I hate to even talk about them on an empty stomach. But.....One funny porta-potty side note. One of the guys I've been with since CRC at Ft Bliss is here now at Victory until he leaves for his site at Taji. Anyway, Lee Bache was joking about the "Blue Kiss of Death" when I had told him that the porta potties has just been cleaned. I had no clue what he was talking about, so he had to explain. Let's give a "G" rated version of his explanation. The BKofD is basically the splashback from the pretty blue water. You know you're bored when the humor starts to turn to toilet humor.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?