Monday, March 29, 2004

Camp Victory 10K Run

Camp Victory 10K Run
Monday, March 29, 2004
12:30:00 AM CST

28 Mar 2004

I got "shamed" into registering and running in the Camp Victory 10K Run this morning. My supervisor, our old area manager and one of the RSC guys ran and told me that I had to run. There were probably about 450 people that ran it. The first 350 to cross the finish line will get T-shirts, but they aren't in yet.

This run took me around familiar ground, but in the opposite direction than I normally run. I've been running since I got here, but my normal jog is only about 2-1/2 miles around the little lake and the swamp across from the big lake. I've done a couple of four milers by running an extra lap around the swamp, so I figured that I should be able to handle the six miles. We went around one of the sides of the little lake, then around 1-1/2 sides of the big lake around the palace.

The next leg was a 2-1/2 mile portion around Lost Lake. I had never known that lake was there before now. There are two bombed out buildings on an island in the middle of the lake and the lake also has a few little round islands with palm trees, bushes and flowers dotting the middle of the lake. It is really a scenic little corner of the base.

Unfortunately, the Lost Lake portion of the run is where I started to run out of steam. At that point, I took the backseat to someone else's pace to pull me through. When they got dogged out, I would find someone else to pace. I ended up toward the last 1-1/2 miles taking the pace of three guys in 72nd Batallion shirts. They kept a faster pace than I liked, but by keeping up with them, I was able to pull through the worst of it.

I crossed as about #305 with a time of 50:12. Hey, the old man of our group (me at 43) dogged em out! Shane at 37 came in with a time of 51:15, Phil at 42 came in at about 53:00 and Chris at 28 came in at about 56:00. Not too bad for an old fart, huh?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?