Saturday, April 17, 2004

Back to Kuwait

Back to Kuwait
Saturday, April 17, 2004
7:51:00 AM CDT

17 Apr 2004

Finally made it back to Camp Doha last night around 2330. MEO had printed the wrong time on my ticket and I ended up at the airport in Qatar about four hours too soon. If anything does actually go right during the remainder of this trip, I'll be shocked. As soon as I got into Kuwait City, I called Adam (from ITT) who told me that he just left the airport around 30 minutes ago. He asked me to chill out and wait for someone by Starbucks.

I ended up in a very pleasant conversation with a robed Kuwaiti. He was waiting for someone to arrive at the airport and wanted to take a seat since I had an open chair by me. As it turns out, he had gone to school in Dubuque, Iowa about 20 years earlier and was apologizing for his English. I told him that his English was great. We spoke about Qatar and Kuwait and all about Iraq and their invasion of Kuwait. It is always interesting to hear a story like that from someone who lived through it. He ended up in exile in Qatar until the liberation of Kuwait.

I got picked up about an hour later by a few guys who had been here when I left for Qatar. (Still awaiting deployment) They wanted to stop by McD's on the way back. Fine with me, kinda takes the old growl out of the bear in my stomach. Back at Camp Doha (there is a Doha Kuwait and a Doha Qatar. Guess it's kind of like Springfield in the States.) there was a crowd of night owls around the covered area playing "bones" when we got back. Many have become night owls for lack of anything to do while awaiting deployment. This gave me the chance to hear the latest rumors of activity going on at Victory. Yes, Victory has been taking a few mortars lately. One landed about five tents from the tent that I lived in, but noone was hurt. Another mortar had landed on North Victory and killed a TCN (third country national).

I called Randal today and he didn't sound too worse for the wear. Sounds like a few nerves are frazzled, but they are okay. Probably still need the Kevelar pillows at night (see entry from 18 March). He mentioned that he is ready for me to come back, so I'm ready to return. Maybe tomorrow, but I've heard that there is a backlog of people at the APOD at Camp Wolverene waiting to get up to Baghdad. It may take a few days to get availability on a flight beforeI can get back "home". Where are those damned ruby slippers when you really need them?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?