Saturday, April 10, 2004

Drinks and Dinner at the Ramada

Drinks and Dinner at the Ramada
Saturday, April 10, 2004
3:25:00 AM CDT

07 April 2004

Jim Vines had made reservations for 1930 at the Japanese restaurant, Sukura in the Ramada where he and his wife were staying. He had brought her with to break her bordom of Saudi where they live. Rudy dropped me off around 1900 or so, so I had time to find the restaurant. The hotel lobby and hall is all tile with beautiful large oriental carpets spread out throughout the lobby. The Sukura is tucked away in a back corner requiring you to go through another cafe in the hotel. I would never have found it if I hadn't asked the waiter at the cafe!

I was early, so I ordered my first legal beer since arriving in the Middle East. A cold pint of Fosters tasted pretty good. Jim an dhis pretty Filapina wife arrived about ten minutes later followed by the rest of the people from the office. Everyone had a drink at the bar before going to the long bar-type table stretched out around the Japanese grill.

I was anxious to have sushi since it had been awhile, so I ordered a tuna roll, a California roll and a kappa roll, then ordered a chicken dish for the main entre. The tuna was fantastic. It was so fresh it disappointed me that they didn't have a hand roll on the menu. I cold have passed on the chicken in favor of more of that tuna. No fishy flavor at all. Much food was passed around and shared over what felt like seven courses. What more could you ask for? Good drink, good food and good conversation.

Things broke up around 2230 and a small group of us ended up at "the Library" on the 10th floor. The Library is another drinking establishment in the hotel. They had live entertainment in an atmosphere that was like a library with the wingbacked chairs and library-type tables. The music was relaxing as a guy and woman played a variety of songs on a keyboard and electric guitar. The backdrop was the Qatari city of Doha and waterfront lights from ten stories above.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?