Saturday, April 24, 2004

It's a Dilbert World

It's a Dilbert World
Saturday, April 24, 2004
10:41:00 PM CDT

24 April 2004

Just sitting here tonight listening to music and contemplating how much of my guts to spill tonight. We have an interesting wind and sandstorm passing through as I'm writing. More sand and grit imbedded into every pore and bucketfulls to be dug out of my ears when it's all over. I've given up on ever having clean sheets. Even when clean, it takes only one wind through the tent and it looks like they've been slept in for a month. Actually, I still sleep in the sleeping bag on a cot with a 4 inch foam mattress with a sheet over that. It's almost like sleeping at the Double Tree in Scottsdale - without the pool - once you've closed your eyes...NOT!

The past two days have been interesting at best. Let's just say that my boondoggle to Qatar was nice, but...My country manager Joe, was only giving lip service about establishing ISO9000 practices in Iraq to make it look to his bosses that he was being proactive. How much closer to Dilbert could this whole experience get? Right out of the gate, I was told that he wasn't going to fill out basic reports and forms required by OSHA. He isn't going to do anything that might increase his paperwork load - no matter who dictates it. And by the way mind your own business and follow your chain of command so they can squash any issues you are trying to correct! They will determine how many ISO9000 issues they will adopt and when.

His rebuttal letter to me boldly understated his attitude about this whole thing when he addressed me as Mr. Gallas. I wrote to Barb in Qatar to basically tell her that I was right about Joe (lip service) and she was wrong (sincerely proactive). I also forwarded to her Joe's stern letter to me. She can discuss this with Mark back in Qatar (Joe's boss) if she want to push the issue any further. I think I'm done with it. If Joe wants to micromanage the process, I won't even wipe without instructions.

He's been gone in Kuwait for a week in preparation for a one-day meeting and for leave for three weeks Stateside on May 1st. So we haven't seen him recently (not that we ever do, even though he lives on ISG across the highway from us. He wouldn't live at Victory because we all had to live in tents in the beginning. ISG also has washers and dryers, a movie theater, a great chow hall, etc) nor will we see him until around June. Nothing new. He usually rules in abstentia from Kuwait anyway-that's why he is the Iraq country manager. His absences from Iraq in Kuwait have been noticed by many others in Kuwait too. But when you are the son-in-law of a "somebody" in ITT, you can rule the kingdom as you wish. As Mel Brooks says in History of the World, "It's good to be King!"
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?