Monday, June 21, 2004

This 'n That

Sunday, June 20, 2004
This 'n That
21 June 2004
Greetings from Baghdad. Can't believe that it's been a week since I last made an entry. Not too much has been happening, but by the time I leave work, I just haven't had any energy or desire to write. It must be the heat. The weather this week is starting to get a bit warmer now. It's been around 115-120 this week and the past couple of days with winds around 20 mph. You would think that the breezes would cool things off some, but it ends up feeling like someone has opened a 5000 degree blast furnace in your face.

Got an email from my sister, Deb this weekend. My brother-in-law Mark is going thorugh training in Virginia this week and then onto CRC at Fort Bliss next week. He got a job with Dynacorp (or Dyncorp, but not Blackwater) to come to Baghdad. He will be training Iraqi police officers downtown in the city here. Although we will only be about ten miles apart, I don't know if I will get the chance to see him. We will both be in green zones, but there is a red zone between our two locations.

I was at the bizarre next to the Victory North PX on Saturday and found another painting that I couldn't live without. I had seen this one at the same time I saw the other one I bought but thought it too expensive. I've always like it, but wasn't sure if I could find a place for it since it is about 3' X 3.5'. It is of a group of Arabs in at a rug wholesaler with oriental rugs being displayed to the buyers. Other brass wares are depicted very similar to the wares on display here at the bizarre. The vivid colors are what I always like about this painting along with the Middle Eastern feel. I don't have any idea where I'm going to hang this Picasso, but it is just one of those things you know you have to have when you see it! Maybe I'll finally have to wall up an office in the basement for my collection of Middle Eastern stuff I've been aquiring since my stay here.

It's been a quiet week all around. The only mortars we heard this last week were on Tuesday evening. We were in the chow hall around 17:30 when we heard four booms on base about 10 seconds apart. After the last one, one of the KBR guys who had his VHF radio on his belt (with the volume up to 11 (reference Spinal Tap here)) had an excited woman's voice blaring something out of it. Eve looked at us and said, "It must not have hit anything too important. They are still sitting there eating." Kind of like rubber-necking at an accident scene on the way home from work. Pause to see the damage, then life continues.

Speaking of the chow hall, they served up a very nice meal for Father's Day yesterday. After washing my hands, I surveyed the menu posted which read, Curry Chicken, Pork Chop Hockey Pucks, blah, blah, blah. But once we got up to the counter, they had steak, shrimp, crab's legs, and lobster. Now those kind of surprises we can live with!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?