Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Burning the Midnight Oil

Burning the Midnight Oil
03 August 2004

Nothing too earth-shattering happening here. I've started running in the morning when I get back from work because the heat is still so oppressive even at 5:30 pm when I was trying to run. Haven't really been doing much more mileage than 2.5 miles. The Lost Lake run is scenic and quiet enough to enjoy the 20-30 minute run.

Saturday, Scott and I did our usual laundry run to ISG. Shane from the RSC and a new guy who is a buddy of Scott (from their MCI days back in California) came along. Shane has more clothes than Imelda Marcos had shoes. He must have a full 4 week change of clothes. After laundry, we all went over to the Haji shops and found that they have a new Kabab restaurant. Pretty tastey.
We didn't get back until about 2 pm, so I was beat. I thought about joining a group going up to the Ishtar at the airport for dinner and refreshments, but ended up sleeping until 10 pm. Maybe this Saturday I'll join them. I haven't been to the Ishtar in eons. They haven't opened the road to the public from Victory to the airport yet, so things are still safe. They've been putting up a 18 foot concrete blast wall with cyclone fencing topping it off another 10 feet up. So, who knows? Maybe our trips over to BIAP and the Ishtar are to be a thing of the not-so-distant past.

Once the highway is opened up to civilians, field trips will be a bit more risky...even with the checkpoints and Abrams tanks. The new chow halls are getting somewhat better, but they don't compare to being able to get off of Victory and away from the familiar and everyday environment here. Maybe the routine-ness of it all is mind-numbing. 17 more days till vacation.

Been on mids now for almost three weeks. Working midnights definitely has its advantages. It's nice not having to put up with the LT's fits of rage over the cables being strung through our open windows by the contractors (causing temps inthe facility to reach near-boiling levels). We have more people passing through here than the Tunnel from the airport in Boston. Don't miss the parade of idiots who have been deciding that they want to shoe-horn more equipment into this shoe-box sized room with more environmental issues (ie. electrical and a/c) than the I-355 extension to I-80 back home in Chicago.

One of the disadvantages however, is trying to sleep when it's light out. Let's face it, it's a daytimers world out there--even if the temps are soaring near 130F. So yesterday morning, I get back to the trailer by 820am, listen to some music, play a little solitair on the computer and am ready to turn in around 945am. Just as I'm dropping off to sleep, I'm awoken by a tiny little hammer next door. "Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap." Then it gets louder and more obnoxious until it sounds like Geppetto next door is building a whole friggin army of Pinocchios!! At this point, I have to get up and find out what the heck is going on. KBR is fixing the lockset on my neighbor's door.

So, I crawl back under the covers and just as I'm dropping off again, what sounds like the gestapo is pounding on my door. What now!? Two soldiers from KBR housing taking a census. I am so tired that I can't even remember Scott's last name. They just want to know how many open beds they have so that they can move people from tent city over to trailers. Alright, now I'm ready to go back to bed.

Well, you've guessed it. Now I'm staring at the ceiling and can't sleep. I finally dropped off to sleep around 2 pm - something like 2 am your time if your a daytimer. Let me tell you, 630 pm comes really quickly.

I'm dead, probably overtired by now. Kinda reminds me of the scene from Beetlejuice when Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are dressed in designer sheets as ghosts trying to scare Delia out of the house. Lydia looks at them and says something like, "And even if you guys are real ghosts, you're not going to wake her up. She's sleeping with Prince Valium tonight!" Mother's little helper would be kinda nice right now, but Tylenol Sinus PM should do the trick. Pleasant dreams. I'm off to a little trip to slumber-land.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?