Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The Siege of Fallujah

The Siege of Fallujah
10 November 2004

Back in battle rattle, but that shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Since the siege of Fallujah has started, things are a bit different. Helo ops (helicoptor operations) seem to run at all hours now and you can hear the constant roar of jets high in the sky making their bombing runs to Fallujah just to the north and west of us here. In the distance at night, it isn't unusual to see flashes in that direction from here.

My brother-in-law working for Dyncorp has been on lockdown in the green zone downtown since Sunday, I think. Baghdad Airport has suspended flights for 48 hours on Monday and Tuesday. Maybe that will be extended. I think we can expect that mail and supplies will be slowed down some by the airport shut down.

We've also been seeing a lot more activity from our (local, indiginous) neighbors. I think that ISG has been getting a bit more activity than Victory Base (now known as Al Naser so as not to be further confused with Victory Base in Kuwait), but we have still had our share of incoming. I think that I've been sleeping through most of it. Although just as I was falling asleep around 915 am on Monday, I did get woken up by what sounded like a car bomb on the highway at the checkpoint. Scott and I both woke up, I got on the floor and asked him if it was worth trying to get the battle rattle on at this point as I was considering going back to sleep on my little throw rug at the foot of the bed. He got up and looked out the door and saw the gray mushroom shaped cloud from the checkpoint direction and said that it looked like a car bomb. Then we both went back to sleep.

The rain still makes life a muddy mess. We haven't been having downpours as much as drizzle. This morning around 4 am, we had just enough drizzle to make the mud on the roads into the consistancy of soup. I gave up trying to walk on the slick and soupy road and walked on the dry dirt trails along side the road. They were drier than the roads and the dirt wasn't sticking to my shoes. That all changed by the time I hit the trailer area. The "sand that doesn't ever dry" was there to cling to my every step. I'm waiting for pits of quicksand to develop. Sleep seems to be the only escape from this place--that is when it isn't interrupted by mortars or rockets or helicoptors sounding like they are about to scrape their landing gear on the tops of the trailers or KBR knocking on the door to do human inventory or cleaning the A/C filters...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?