Friday, December 03, 2004

Good Thing I’m a Morning Person

Good Thing I’m a Morning Person

03 December 2004

I was thinking this morning as I was walking home from work; it's a good thing that I'm a morning person. Being a 12-hour midshift worker, we live our lives in a perpetual morning state. When we get off work, it's 8am. What do we say when we pass people? "Good Morning." When I get up at 5:30pm and go to dinner (our breakfast) at 630pm, what do mid workers say to each other? "Good morning!" When we go to catch midnight chow, mid-rats (midnight rations if you choose) or in our case - lunch, what do you say after midnight to anyone? "Good morning." So if you're ever asked to go to midnight shift, you had better be a morning person, because you are going to be living your life in a perpetual state of morning.

Need to make corrections to yesterday's blog. The days get so twisted around here, it was the Wednesday morning at 930am before Thanksgiving that we had the incoming rocket. The Monday morning, three days after Thanksgiving was a bus bomb on the highway. We hear explosions all the time. Some stick in your mind, like a rocket, others like a car bomb or EOD (Explosive Ordinance Detail) exploding ordinance are like a car backfiring (with a bit more omph) and are soon forgotten. This morning (my morning at 5pm) I woke up to semi-automatic fire. It was outside the gate, so I just pulled the covers over me as if I had a kevlar blanket and caught a few more winks before the alarm rousted me out of bed at 6pm.

Had breakfast (dinner, whatever!) tonight with Yuri, the Ukrainian Captain that I mentioned about a month or so ago. I felt a bit uneducated because we started to talk about literature and I haven't really ever read any famous Russian lit. (Or maybe I just felt so American; only educated in American/English lit (although I did study German lit in school when studying German in high school and college) and so self-absorbed in only our language and our culture). The only Russian author I can remember having read was "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Solzhenitsyn. I think I read it for Sophmore English back in '76.

Yuri, on the other hand, speaks Ukrainian, Russian and English and was saying that he wonders how accurate any translation could be for an author like Tolstoy, where the words in Russian are so interlocking and passionate. I guess that will be something to add to my list of things to do--hopefully before I'm ready to retire. Maybe the college has a Russian Lit class that I could take once I get back home. (After all, I have been called a Professional Student by my friends and family!)

Yuri and I also spoke about the election uproar in his country. Even with the huge differences of interest between the agricultural west and the industrial east in Ukraine, he doesn't seem to think that the country will split over this. He believes that this is all a part of democracy and the process. As an example, he pointed out our 2000 election that went to the courts for decision. Maybe the media has beefed up the differences too much, almost trying to incite a disaster situation. At any rate, the country still takes in income from the oil and gas pipelines running across it from Russia to Europe. They have a thriving steel industry in the east (and an existing customer base in Russia and China) as well as fertile farmlands in the west. Now all they need is a president.

Tomorrow morning (Saturday morning) my brother-in-law Mark is going to be coming in from downtown Baghdad over to Victory. So he and I will make a field trip up to the North Victory PX and just hang out for a bit. I think that he has been back in country for about 6 or 8 weeks now. Haven't seen him in quite a while, so it will be good to hang out with him some and catch up on how my sister Deb is and how my Gram in Phoenix is when he was back there. It will be good to see him again.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?