Thursday, May 12, 2005

Post Script

12 May 2005

Having had the day to think about my previous entry, I remembered that I failed to explain one major point. That point being that when it comes to your health, never take anything for granted. My Dad, having died at the ripe young age of 58 never went to the doctor and never learned to take care of himself and his health. My Mom, on the other hand did go to the doctor regularly and had to in order to maintain and control her diabetes and subsequent infections. Still, she only made it past her 60th birthday. So now my sisters and I are left to ponder our own mortality and consider the lessons learned.

Don't ever be ashamed of your body and the questions you have of your doctor in the proper care and maintenance of that said body. Noone cares more about it than you do. You may have a better one awaiting you in your next reincarnation, however, Miss McClain, that is no excuse for not extending the warranty on the current model.

If your doctor is not approachable, then it is time to look for another one that is willing to work with you and listen to your questions and concerns. I am fortunate that I have been able to establish a good rapport with my doctors. Don't be afraid to blurt it out if you have specific questions. When my first doc put me on medication for my blood pressure, I researched it on the web and told them that I had concerns about the "side effects." His response was "Which side effects?" To which I responded the ones that may impact my love life.

He met me head-on and calmly responded that there are so many different medications out there now, if you have any negative reactions, there are other options. But how would I know that unless I asked him from the beginning point blank? Your doctor isn't your enemy. He wants to see you healthy and happy. He wants to feel like he has helped your condition and has helped to involve you in your own health care. But he can't ever do that without your input and without you taking the first step to address the possible problems.

Unfortunately for so many of us, we don't examine our mortality issues until we lose our parents. Because our parents and grandparents may still be living, we feel like that gives us some leeway to not expect plaque buildup in our heart valves or some reason why we can still smoke those two packs a day with no expected damage to the body. We tend to act like our parents health is something that is handed down after they go; like money in a will. Well, it ain't.

Go get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked. So enough of my soapbox preaching.
Comments:
H-e-l-l-o, Dave. Where are you?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?