Sunday, March 25, 2007

Joan Crawford Eyebrows

25 March 2007

Spring has seemed to have sprung here in Chicago. A few cold days here and there, but typical Chicago weather for spring. We hit 78 out here in the sticks today! For someone recovering and just "hanging around", you wouldn't believe the schedule I keep now!

I had physical therapy on Monday and confirmed my meeting with my General Practitioner for Thurs. I started giving the high BP more thought and have decided to consult a Preventative Cardiologist. Edward Hospital in Naperville has a great cardiology department and with my Dad checking out at 58 and Gramp at 74, I think maybe some preventative medicine is just what I need right now. I just want another opinion of someone where this is their primary concern and practice.

Tuesday I had to be home for the yard guys because we had the yard aerated and dethatched.

Wednesday, I met with my buddy Bob and the accountant about some possible new opportunities. Also on Wednesday, more arm physical therapy. I have great range of motion and flexibility, and the therapist is starting to work with the resistance training more now. In a couple more weeks, he will begin strength training and then I'll feel like I'm in the home stretch. I still have some pain in the arm or in the wrist at times and this crazy humid weather kind of frustrates things.

Thursday morning, I met with my GP. Believe it or not, the bp was 118/80! He was as surprised as I was. The only thing I can chalk up the other readings to would be a reaction to the pain from the arm and back. I'm still intending on seeing the preventive doc and told my doc that I put more than my share into the cookie jar, and I intend to get something back out of Uncle Sugar! In other words, I want to be around a few years into retirement. Also made follow-up calls to corporate in Colo Springs today to get duplicate W2's. They sent mine to Victory and no one forwarded them onto me...can you say, DUH! My accountant can't submit my taxes without them.

From there to the physical therapist for the back. I'm officially four weeks out from surgery and can start physical therapy on the back. My therapist, Jason, I had during the summer when I had problems this summer after doing too much in the yard and threw out my back again. I like him because he isn't afraid to touch. So many physical therapists would rather don a rubber suit and gas mask than touch their patients. I think physical therapy is all about touch for healing. How can you determine what I need if you are only on the outside of your protective bubble looking in? You have to have a rapport with your patient and have to listen and touch to find out what is going on. So I wanted to go back to him. He actually listens to me when I tell him how it hurts and what is going on with me.

Thursday I also had (drum roll please!) my first pedicure and facial. We have a men’s shop in St. Charles called the Men's Groom Room. Since this whole back/disk thing has been going on my feet have not gotten the care they deserve. It’s just been too hard to bend over to regularly cut and clean the nails and such. Every time I’d bend over to put on socks and shoes, the herniated disk would push into the sciatic nerve more. So I said, "to heck with it" and decided to have it all done.

You can't believe the difference it makes. The feet feel great. I had never had anyone touch my feet before, mostly because they are too ticklish, but also because they are even disgusting to me! And my reason for not going sooner was this recurring nightmare I have about people touching my feet. In my nightmare, I was imagining poor Ellen oil and salt scrubbing my feet and to my imagined horror, ending up feeling tickled and gently applying the heel of my foot in a light backward pushing motion to her forehead, sending her (arms and legs flailing helplessly around)careening across the floor. “Ooops, sorry,” is all I say apologetically in this nightmare of mine! But all that worry was for naught! She said that by using the correct pressure on the toes, it really isn’t as bad as you might think…and you know what? She was right.

Then Ellen performed the dreaded eyebrow wax. She damned near trimmed down what looked like Andy Rooney’s eyebrow-mustaches/unibrow from above my eyes and then applied the hot wax to shape my new and improved eyebrows! I must say that waxing is a bit more painful than the threading of the eyebrows done at the Hilton in Kuwait back in May, but it is also a cleaner look too. In several “light tugs” (more like pulling friggin salt water taffy if you ask me how it felt!) she removed the dried wax around my new eyebrows.

Next, the facial. Ellen donned her welder’s mask and metal grinder to perform a wonderfully peaceful light microderm abrasion. Sparks flying and her screaming over the handheld metal grinder, "Pores, who needs stinkin’ pores?!" Then after that, some hot towels to open the pores to slather over my face like cream cheese on a bagel, an ever-so-thin coat of very nice smelling wall spackle with a refreshing alcohol base to make you “feel the burn!” After all this work you can only imagine that my face is taut, expressionless and a beautiful pasty white…not to mention my new and improved, beautiful "Joan Crawford" eyebrows....not! (Although, I don’t remember seeing any wire hangers on the coat rack)

But truthfully, the whole experience was so relaxing and felt so great that I'm looking forward to doing it all again next month. I never understood my sister talking about getting the facial and pedicure till I did it for myself. Furthermore, I went back on Friday to have the hair cut too. Laurie did a great job on my hair. I think it helped too that I liked the way she cut her previous customer and so I was able to point and grunt that I liked what she did with the last one! Boy, I'm really sounding like I looked like that Geico Caveman, aren't I?

My barber in town here in Sycamore must have drank his lunch last week when he cut my hair, because I looked like an experiment…everyone was just too polite to say anything. Anyway, the other problem I've had with barbers back home is that they're too afraid to use a #2 blade and cut the sides shorter like the Pakistani's back at the barber shop at Victory. So I finally feel human again with this new haircut.

Friday morning I met with the electrician about a quote to put up the new lighting and to add some circuits in the basement. Keep tripping breakers because we have too many gadgets sucking juice off one circuit.

Then off to a great lunch with my friend Cheryl who I used to work with at Lucent and another friend Renee. Renee is a friend of Cheryl's that I got to know since she was already in the NIU MBA program when I was registering for it. She was the one I turned to for questions about the MBA program and we overlapped a year in school.

The three of us had a great lunch at this little Thai place on Randall Road in South Elgin where we were just getting caught up. When we first ordered, the English-speaking woman wasn't in so it was an interesting ordeal ordering lunch and iced tea! The tea was very interesting. It was like a green tea served with cream on the top and to our surprise tasted pretty good. When the bill came, the English-speaking one was there, so we were able to read the bill. Unfortunately, I missed out on my fortune because I ate it! The fortune cookies they served were rolled up and I didn’t look to see the scroll was rolled up in the center. Duh!

One week in the life of the gimp! I know it sounds hectic, but in all seriousness, I’m about ready to come back to work. I'm needing to feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. I only feel right now like I'm keeping a full schedule to occupy my time and nothing more. I know that I’m making progress but not as fast as I want. Oh well, more next week.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?