Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Resting (and Restless) In Kuwait

08 October 2007

Just a quick blog to let you know that I made it to Kuwait on Sunday night. Hadn't slept in over 24 hours, so I was pretty wiped out. Thankfully, the flight was uneventful this time too. I managed to eat some KFC before crashing hard.

I ended up assigned to a tent that was packed to the gills with people and only upper bunks available, so I cheated and slipped into a different tent that was intended only for L3 translators. Got woke up about 3am to screaming Iraqi/American interpreters "talking" to one another. This culture is too weird sometimes. These people always scream at each other and sound like their pissed off at one another and wanna rip each other’s heads off, when in fact, they are just being social and just over-exuberant in voicing their emotions! I’ve seen this even in the chow hall, so it shouldn’t be *that* much of a shock to me.

Woke up at 0600 with all my jetlag still going on (jetlag from working mids all this time and not sleeping for 24 hours. My poor old corpse doesn’t know what time or day it is!) Showered and went over to the chow hall for some breakfast and had the chance to catch some of the football scores. The Bears actually surprised me. I saw Favre's speach to the media and he looked like he was gonna cry. I kinda teared up myself just watchin him at breakfast. :( Chargers walked all over Denver. Saw a couple of other scores, but didn't see any games.

The visa only took 12 hours and 3 KD (Kuwaiti Dinar) to process. Called British Air to see if they could put me on an earlier flight out to A'dam, but they said that my ticket is a non-refundable/non-changeable ticket. If I'd known that, I'd of not booked on BA. Never had any problems with Lufthansa/United. I'll have to watch that in the future since with the reliability of flights out of Baghdad, you never know when you’ll have to push flights back or make changes.

I'm sure that you're probably surprised to hear that I had had enough of that living like a friggin "nomad in a tent" crap for one night to last me a lifetime and checked into the Crowne Plaza just outside of the airport. I can't change my flight, so that means that I'm here till my flight to A'dam on Wed morning. And since I had my passport and approved visa, I was free to leave the base. Nice hotel. I'm just getting ready now to have a nice steak dinner. I was thinking about sushi, but I may do that tomorrow night.

I did lay out at the pool for an hour and read too this afternoon. I'll say that it is a whole lot more humid here on the Gulf than up in Baghdad. 100 degrees with 80% humidity is hot after Baghdad's mild 99 with 30% humidity.

May go out to the souks (pronounced sooks like boots) tomorrow since I have time on my hands tomorrow. Don't worry, no more rugs for now...unless it is a really really really good deal. Maybe I can finally get a picture of that sheep's head at the butcher that has been skinned but they've left the eyes in with the teeth and gums all showing like some horror flick promo. Really gross, but a pretty captivating thing to remember.
Comments:
Hello Dave, I have the same background as you working in the TCF. Corpse is close to the same age also...I was searching for ITT jobs Antartica and found your blog. I am currently in Balad, just got here, will be here for some time. When you come back I would like to talk to you about your experiences down south. My personal email is murraylp@bellsouth.net have a good trip home, regards-

Larry Murray
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?