Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Time For An Update

Holy cow! I hadn't realized that I haven't written in six weeks. Well, here I am in Ali Al Salem, Kuwait going on leave again. Yeah, again. I decided to take a Cisco class (ICND1) and catch a break at home too. Not much interesting has been happening in Iraq, so not too much to write about. It is summer, not much rain and a few more sandstorms than usual, but that's it.

I've been working 72 and 84 hour weeks the past six weeks, so my attention has not exactly been on blogging. But the past few weeks have been back to only 6X12's, so I'd been slowly gaining some sanity back...along with a day off once a week. I've been keeping up with running, even though by the time I'm off at 9am and hit the road at 930am, it's usually at least 92F. Better than waiting to run till when I wake up at 5pm when it's over 100F. My body is acclimated though, so it isn't always as bad as it sounds. It just reduces my mileage to only 2.5 miles instead of the 4.5 I'd like to do.

I'm also planning on a three day trip to AZ to see my Gram and my sister. I didn't go last time I was home in Feb/Mar, so I figured I better go this time. Gram isn't getting any younger at nearly 93, plus I always enjoy my trips to AZ. I'm planning on leaving the day after the class finishes on Sat 20th and coming home on Tuesday. So this trip home is going to be a real whirl-wind tour!

The other thing that has drawn my attention from the blog is that a very good friend of mine was diagnosed with colon cancer three weeks ago. She is only 45 and was pretty devestated. She became a good friend of mine when I was in my freshman year in college and she was a junior in high school. She was a friend of a friend from the church group I hung with. I introduced her to my friend Bob who I grew up with since I was 10 and he was 9. The two have been married for 20-some years and have three kids. She had surgery and then she had complications. The stapler perforated the colon after they removed 14 inches of colon and they had to go back in since she was leaking into her body cavity.

They were saying it was a bit disconcerting to have the hospital room marked as "Toxic" until they got the leak fixed! The docs put a colostomy bag on her for now and she will have to wear it for about 4 months till the colon heals and then they'll remove the bag. The good thing is that when I spoke to her this week and she sounds like herself again. She started back to work this week and was climbing the walls all last week itching to get back to work.

As far as things here in Iraq, it's been rather quiet since Al Sadr called his temporary truce. No telling how long it will last this time. Probably until they can get all their resources in one place for the next attack. Not being funny, only realistic.

I'll try to keep the blog updated more regularly, but when not much happens, it is hard to find stuff to write about. Life around here just seems to just creep along like Groundhog Day or else when things to pop up, everything happens all at once!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?